Namada uses CometBFT (opens in a new tab) (nee Tendermint Go) through the cometbft-rs (opens in a new tab) (nee tendermint-rs) bindings in order to provide peer-to-peer transaction gossip, Byzantine fault tolerant (BFT) consensus, and state machine replication for Namada's custom state machine. CometBFT implements the Tendermint consensus algorithm, which you can read more about here (opens in a new tab).
Using the CometBFT consensus algorithm comes with a number of benefits including but not limited to:
- Fast finality
- CometBFT achieves fast and deterministic finality, meaning that once a block is committed to the blockchain, it is irreversible. This is crucial for applications rely on settled transactions that cannot be rolled back.
- Inter-blockchain communication system (IBC)
- Composability with all other CometBFT-based blockchains, such as Cosmos-ecosystem blockchains
- Battle tested
- The entire Cosmos ecosystem has been using CometBFT (nee Tendermint) for years
- Allows the setting of various parameters, including the ability to implement a custom proof of stake algorithm